Water & Sewer
Tax Payments
Finance Department
Parks & Recreation
Water & Sewer Department - Flushing
Fire Department
Planning & Zoning

Water and Sewer
Q. Who do I call for water and sewer emergencies?
A. In case of a water- or sewer-related emergency, such as a leak or water main break, contact Harrisburg Town Hall, 704-455-5614, during business hours. For after-hours emergencies, call 704-784-6029.

Q. How often am I billed and when is my bill due?  When is my bill late?
A. Water bills are generated and mailed on the 20th of each month.  The bill is due on the 15th of the following month.  A bill is considered late on the 16th of the month and a $10.00 late fee is added to the customer's account balance.  

Q. When can I be disconnected for nonpayment?  When will service be restored? 
A. All balances must be collected by 5 p.m. on the 25th of each month or that meter will be scheduled for disconnection. Disconnections are done on the 26th of each month. Water service will be scheduled for reconnection at such time as the Town of Harrisburg receives the entire past due balance of the bill and the additional $100.00 reconnect fee. Water service will be restored within 24 hours of the time of disconnection.

Q. How can I pay my bill?
A. Bill payments can be made at the Town Hall building by utilizing the outside drop box, 24 hours a day, or by coming into the Town Hall offices between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Payments can also be mailed to P.O. Box 100, Harrisburg, NC 28075, online by clicking here or bank/credit card draft. There is also an automated payment number that can be used to make payments 24 hours a day. That number is 1-877-397-2658 and there is a $1.25 convenience fee associated with this service for each transaction.  Effective March 1, 2018, there is a $2.50 convenience fee associated with all online credit card payments and a 2.50% surcharge for any credit card payments made over the phone to a Customer Service Representative.

Q. What day is my yard waste collected? What is a bulk item and when is it picked up? 
A. Yard waste, which consists of brush, limbs, leaves and grass, is collected Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of every week. A complete schedule of subdivisions and streets is on our website. Bulk Items are picked up on on  your garbage/recycling collection day.  Beginning November 1, 2017, all bulk items are collected by Waste Pro.  Please contact them directly, via phone or online to schedule the pickup.  An item is considered to be a bulk item if it is not usual household garbage, i.e. old furniture and appliances or yard equipment. The Town's service provider does not pick up anything in boxes or bags, hazardous waste or large amounts of construction material. Please see our website for more detail.

Tax Payments
Q. What is a "tax year"?
A. Real Estate, Business and Personal Property Tax Bills are mailed out annually in July. The Fiscal tax year for Real Estate, Business and Personal Property billings spans July 1 through June 30.

Q. What is the current tax rate?
A. Harrisburg's total tax rate is $0.355 per $100 of valuation.  

Q. I'm looking to purchase a house for $150,000.00, what would my annual town property tax levy be?
A. On a $150,000 house, the annual levy would be $532.50.

Q. When is my tax bill mailed?  When is my tax bill due? 
A. Harrisburg residents will receive one tax bill for both Town of Harrisburg and Cabarrus County property taxes. Tax bills are expected to be mailed to residents in mid-July and are due on September 1 each year. Penalty is then assessed on a monthly basis. 

Q. What is the penalty for delinquent payment?
A. 2% in January and 3/4% the first of each month thereafter.

Q. How can I pay my tax bill? 
A. All tax payments for can be paid online through Cabarrus County’s website, by mail to the Cabarrus County Tax Collection PO Box 707, Concord NC 28026 or in person at the Cabarrus County Government Center, 65 Church St. in Concord Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call the Cabarrus County Tax Collection Department at 704-920-2166 with questions.

Finance Department

Q. Where can I obtain a copy of the current year budget for the Town?

A. A link to the current fiscal year budget ordinance is located on the Finance Department’s page.

Q. Where can I obtain a copy of the most recent audited financial statements for the Town?
A. A link to the three most current audited financial statements is located on the Finance Department’s page.

Q. How often is financial information related to the Town communicated to the public?
A. Each month, the Finance Director provides an abbreviated “snapshot” of the Town’s financial position and performance to budget at Council meetings. However, the Town’s financial statements are audited once a year by an external auditor and delivered near the end of October.

Parks and Recreation 
Q. Where is the Parks and Recreation office located?
A. In Town Hall, 4100 Main St., Ste. 103, Harrisburg, NC 28075.

Q. What are the Parks and Recreation office hours?
A. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Q. What is the phone number for the Parks and Recreation office?
A. 704-455-PARK (7275)

Q. What services does Parks and Recreation offer?
A. All of our programs are listed on our webpage under Harrisburg Parks and Recreation. We offer programs such as yoga classes, quilting, tennis, bridge and kid’s craft time. We offer youth athletics such as spring/fall soccer, spring/fall baseball, spring/fall softball, fall football, fall cheerleading and winter baseball. We offer adult athletics such as winter coed and men’s flag football, spring/fall coed soccer and spring/fall coed softball. We also have annual special events such as the Easter Egg Hunt, July 4th Celebration, Halloween Festival and Christmas Tree Lighting.

Q. What do we do if inclement weather arises during outdoor athletics?
A. You can check our website for weather-related cancellations or call our inclement weather hotline at 704-455-2903.

Q. How do I reserve a shelter?
A. Stallings Park, Harrisburg Park, Harris Depot Park and Pharr Mill Park each have a shelter that you can reserve. The fee schedule is on our webpage. To reserve a shelter, please call 704-455-7275.

Q. How do I reserve a field?
A. We have two parks in Harrisburg with ball fields – Harrisburg Park has one football field and one soccer field. Stallings Park has two baseball/softball fields. The fee schedules are on our webpage. Please call 704-455-7275 to check availability.

Q. Can I just go to the park to play on the fields with my family?
A. Sunday is an open day at our parks. Families and individuals can use the fields on a first-come, first-served basis. For other days of the week, please check with staff for availability.

Water and Sewer Department -- Flushing 
From time to time you have probably seen Public Works or Fire Department personnel running fire hydrants/flushing valves or a device attached to hydrant releasing water. We’re sure that many of you have often wondered about this activity. The Town’s staff has developed this list of frequently asked questions in hopes that it will help you better understand this process:

Q. What is water system flushing?
A. Hydrant flushing is simply the periodic opening of a fire hydrant nozzle and valve to allow water to flow from the hydrant.

Q. Why is flushing necessary?
A. Flushing of hydrants is necessary to promote water quality and test hydrants for pressure & flow. Chlorine residuals in the water distribution system can drop drastically at certain times during the year. Maintaining good chlorine residual levels is essential to ensuring proper system disinfection and is required by law. Flushing the system helps to maintain these residuals, particularly in areas with long residence times (i.e. water that spends a long time in the pipe before being used).

In addition, fire hydrants can be flushed to analyze the flow and pressure in an area. These tests are often performed by Fire Department personnel and are typically done for insurance rating purposes.

Q. How often/long are the hydrants supposed to be flushed?
A. It depends. Flushing is performed until the chlorine residual is restored to an acceptable level. Large lines at the far reaches of a water system may require hours of flushing, particularly during hot summer months.

Q. What are the alternatives to flushing?
A. Looping lines in the distribution system will significantly reduce the amount of flushing required for water quality purposes. The Town is currently considering several projects in its Water & Sewer Capital Improvement Plan to address these issues in several areas.

Q. Is flushing wasting water?
A. Absolutely not! The quantity and cost of the water used is insignificant when compared to the benefits of assuring our residents have quality drinking water.

Q. Why has the Town installed automatic hydrant flushers?
A. Because the Town’s water distribution system is still growing it contains many “dead end” mains (i.e. lines not connected to other lines that create loops). The manpower required to properly flush the system was significantly reduced with the installation of the flushers. These flushers will be in service mainly during the peak times of the year.

Fire Department 
Q. How big is your service area and population?
A. We serve more than 30 square miles and the population is over 27,000 people in the Harrisburg Fire District. We also provide automatic mutual aid to City of Concord Fire Department, Flowes Store VFD, Jackson Park VFD, Newell VFD, Robinson VFD and other agencies upon request.

Q. How many calls for emergency service do you get each year?
A. With the explosive growth the Harrisburg area has experienced throughout the past few years, Harrisburg Fire Department's call volume has steadily increased. We expect to receive over 1,600 calls per year.

Q. What is your average response time to emergencies?
A. Our average response time is about 4 to 5 minutes.  

Q. Why does a fire engine respond to medical emergencies? 
A. Most Harrisburg Firefighters are trained as an EMT - Intermediate level and function as first responders for Cabarrus County EMS. To provide rapid response, fire engines are equipped with lifesaving ALS medical equipment. The Fire Department responds to medical emergencies because it is the best use of our resources and provides a better outcome for the patients.  

Q. How many stations does your Department have?
A. Three. Station 1 (Headquarters) located at 6450 Morehead Road, Harrisburg, NC 28075. Station 2 is located at 9045 Rocky River Road, Harrisburg, NC 28075. Station 3 is located at 8045 Rocky River Road, Harrisburg, NC 28075.

Q. How many firefighters are on shift?
A. There are three shifts of 8 full-time firefighters on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year for a total of 24 firefighters. We operate 2 Engine companies with our current staffing. Each Engine has 1 Captain, 1 Engineer (Driver) and 2 Firefighters. Administrative staff consists of Fire Chief, Deputy Fire Chief of Operation, Deputy Chief/Fire Marshal, Logistics Captain and an Administrative Assistant. A part-time Assistant Chief of Training is also assigned to the administrative offices.

Q. How do I schedule a Fire Prevention Activity?
A. Contact the Fire Marshal’s Office at 704-454-5475 to schedule.

Q. What do I do when I see an emergency vehicle approaching when I am driving?
A. Always remember to safely pull your vehicle to the right when you see an emergency vehicle approaching. Never stop in the middle of the road or precede though an intersection against the signals. An oncoming vehicle going through the intersection might not see you in time. Always pull to the right whenever possible.

Q. Why do I see fire trucks around town?
A. You may see the fire trucks around town responding to emergencies, providing fire prevention educational events, meeting with local businesses to do pre-incident surveys, providing hydrant maintenance or other fire department business.

Q. Why do the fire trucks turn on their lights to back into the station bays?
A. Unlike other fire stations, our large number of needed response vehicles make what we call “pull through” bays not a feasible option. Therefore, we have to back into the station.  Normally, when approaching the station a warning light stick will begin 50 to 100 feet prior to the front pad (driveway.)  Once we get closer we turn on our emergency lights (red lights) to warn all vehicles to stop so that we may back into the bay.

Q. What do I do if a fire truck is on the side of the road at an emergency scene?
A. North Carolina State Law mandates that when approaching an emergency incident, you slow down, move to the left-most lane and either continue on through or stop if signaled to by an emergency official.

Q. Why does the fire department have so many trucks?
A. Currently, Harrisburg Fire Department operates four engine companies, one ladder company, one heavy rescue unit, one brush unit and one specialized swiftwater rescue unit. Each of these units are used for a specific purpose whether it be putting water on a fire, ventilating above a fire, extricating victims from an auto collision, transporting equipment and personnel to water emergencies, or putting out forestry fires. According to the Office of State Fire Marshal we are in need of a fifth engine to continue our current insurance rating. 

Q. Will the Fire Department call me and ask for a donation?

A. We will never call and ask you for a donation.

Q. Who do I call for fire insurance related questions?
A. Your insurance company is who should be called for questions relating to fire insurance. The insurance company should contact ISO for questions relating to ratings and hydrant locations.

Q. How can I help?
A. Go to our website under the Fire Department, look for recruitment or just click here: http://harrisburgnc.org/Departments/FireDepartment/Recruitment.aspx.

Planning and Zoning 
Q. How can I get a copy of the Unified Development Ordinance (zoning code)?
A. The Town of Harrisburg’s Unified Development Ordinance is available to view and download for free here. You can request a print copy of the Unified Development Ordinance from Town Hall for a $35 fee. 

Q. How can I find out what my property is zoned?
A. You may call the Town’s Planning and Zoning Department at 704-455-5614 and ask our staff about the zoning of your property, or you may use the Cabarrus County online GIS system. After searching for your property address, select the “zoning” tab at the top of the map. The zoning layer will then display on the map. If you have questions about the zoning of your property, feel free to contact the Planning and Zoning Department and ask our staff any questions you may have.

Q. What do I need to get a building permit?
A. Before going to the Cabarrus County Commerce Department for a building permit, you must submit an application for a Zoning Clearance Permit to the Town of Harrisburg. Any new construction, additions, or expansions of an existing building must get a zoning permit from the Town of Harrisburg prior to obtaining a building permit. If you have any questions about whether or not your project will require a zoning permit, contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 704-455-5614.

Q. Do I need approval to run a business out of my home?
A. Home businesses, also known as home occupations, are regulated by the Town of Harrisburg’s Unified Development Ordinance. While not all home occupations require that you obtain a home occupation permit, all businesses in the Town require a Privilege License, which cannot be obtained without proper zoning documentation. Article 5 of the Unified Development Ordinance has more information on the requirements for home occupations.

Q. Do I need a permit to build a deck?
A. Yes, all structures require zoning permits, even decks. Once you obtain a zoning permit, you will need to apply for a building permit with the Cabarrus County Commerce Department.

Q. Do I need a permit to build a shed?
A. Yes. Even if a building permit is not required, a zoning permit is still required for the erection of any structure within the Town Limits and ETJ.

Q. Where can I find floodplain information?
A. The Planning and Zoning Department has all of the FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) in our office; the public is more than welcome to come to our office and inspect these maps. Also, the State of North Carolina provides floodplain maps for viewing online at www.ncfloodmaps.com.