Coaching Applications - see steps below for process.
- Volunteer Coaching Application and Forms (adult volunteers ages 18 and older)
- Youth (under age 18) Volunteer Coaching Application and Forms (This Application is for individuals under the age of 18 only)
All coaches utilized for our youth sports teams do so on a volunteer basis for baseball, softball, soccer, flag football, tackle football, cheerleading and basketball.
Submission of a coaching application does not guarantee a coaching position. Coaches are picked at the discretion of the Harrisburg Parks & Recreation athletic coordinators and/or youth sports volunteer coordinators. Anyone interested in being a head coach must complete the required items AND reach out to the coordinator for the sport/age group to discuss interest and opportunities.
Steps Required for Volunteer Coaching and ID Badges
- Submit a Volunteer Coaching Application, Coaches Code of Conduct, and Volunteer Waiver, Release & Indemnity Form prior to EACH season you are interested in coaching a team.
- Submit a Criminal Records Check Authorization for approval if you do not already have a valid/approved background check on file. Background Checks are valid for one year from approval date. Background checks are not required for anyone under the age of 18.
- Contact the age-specific coordinator of the sport you would like to coach to notify them you are interested in coaching. See current season's information sheet for contact information. Do NOT wait to be contacted if you are interested in being a head coach!
- Wait to receive an approval email from BIB SecureVolunteer (approximately 1-5 days after successful submission of authorization).
- Plan a time to come by the Harrisburg Park and Recreation office during operating hours to have a photo ID badge printed with current expiration date. The office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Our office is located in Town Hall - first floor, on the left, past the stairs and elevator.
- Note: Applicants selected to be head coaches will be notified as soon as possible - additional approvals may still be needed prior to season beginning. Applicants for assistant coaching positions will not be contacted by a coordinator. Please reach out to your player's coach if you would like to be considered for an assistant coach/helper position with the team.
Eligibility & Application
All volunteer coaches with Harrisburg Parks and Recreation are required to fill out the current Harrisburg Parks and Recreation coaching application, code of conduct, volunteer waiver prior to EACH season to be eligible to coach. A valid background check is required annually and must be renewed before expiring if during a sports season. A Parks & Recreation photo ID badge is required to be worn by all approved coaches, assistants, helpers at all practices and games. If you plan to be an assistant to the head coach or help in any aspect (on the sidelines, field of play, dugout, etc.) during practices or games of your child or others, you are also required to fill out the same paperwork and get an ID badge to be worn. This Parks & Recreation ID badge is in ADDITION to the email/ID card notification received from BIB after background approval. This is done for the safety of everyone in our program.
If you have any additional questions, please contact Harrisburg Parks and Recreation at 704-455-7275.
Harrisburg Parks and Recreation participates in Giving Assistant! If you are considering shopping online, please shop, save and donate by visiting GivingAssistant.org. Look for Harrisburg Parks and Recreation as your donation selection. These funds go to the improvements of youth athletics, programs and facilities.
Giving Assistant shoppers earn as much as $700 cash back per year, and they donate a percentage of those earnings to organizations they value. Now, every purchase can result in a donation. Start donating with Giving Assistant today, and unlock deals like exclusive Pizza Hut coupons, as well as big savings at Bed Bath & Beyond, Office Depot and more. With 3,000+ popular online retailers, your opportunities to save—and give—are endless.