Fire Department


In or around 1953 several citizens of the Harrisburg community felt that a local Fire Department was needed; which prompted them to begin the process of forming a volunteer fire department and start laying the foundation for what is now known as the Town of Harrisburg Fire Department. Harrisburg Volunteer Fire Department was officially established in February of 1954 in which from its beginning until June 1996 the department's manpower was derived solely from volunteer membership. In June of 1996, due to tremendous growth in the Harrisburg area, the Board of Directors hired a paid Fire Chief and implemented part-time personnel during daylight hours, to allow the department to better provide services to its customers, by doing so allowed apparatus to respond immediately during the day, when volunteers could not respond in great numbers. In July of 1999, due to explosive growth in and around Harrisburg, the Board of Directors approved 10 full-time positions. This ensured immediate response of apparatus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The year 2006 marked another milestone for the Harrisburg Volunteer Fire Department, by merging with the Town of Harrisburg, The Harrisburg Volunteer Fire Department became a municipal fire department thus the Town of Harrisburg Fire Department was born. Since then the Harrisburg Fire Department was has grown to 24 full time firefighters, A Fire Chief, Deputy Chief, Fire Marshall and Secretary. The Fire Department is overseen by an Advisory Board which as a liaison between the Fire Department and Town Council, which consist of residents that reside within the city and the county areas within the fire district.

The Town of Harrisburg Fire Department utilizes a combination of full-time and part-time employees, along with volunteers. The Department runs out of two stations and provides fire suppression, advanced life support emergency medical response, rescue services, and public & life safety education to residents of the Town of Harrisburg, as well as residents of Cabarrus County. The fire protection district is roughly 32 square miles which includes residential, manufacturing, and commercial retail structures. We provide mutual aid assistance to the City of Concord, Jackson Park and Flowes Store Volunteer Fire Departments in Cabarrus County. We also provide assistance to Newell and Robinson Volunteer Fire Departments in Mecklenburg County.


Bryan Dunn, Fire Chief