2017 Town of Harrisburg Yard Waste & Bulk Item Collection
There will be no yard waste collection on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day-January 2, 2017-Monday
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday-January 16, 2017-Monday
- Good Friday-April 14, 2017-Friday
- Memorial Day-May 29, 2017-Monday
- Independence Day-July 4, 2017-Tuesday
- Labor Day-September 4, 2017-Monday
- Veteran’s Day-November 10, 2017-Friday
- Thanksgiving November 23 &24, 2017-Thursday and Friday
- Christmas December 25,26 & 27 2017-Monday,Tuesday &Wednesday*
*No bulk items will be collected the week of Dec. 25
Yard Waste Collection
The Town of Harrisburg offers weekly collection of leaves, grass and yard waste. The same streets can only be collected once per week. At peak times, such as during autumn leaf collection, pick-up schedules may vary due to increased workload.
- Leaves and grass must be loose (not bagged) and placed behind the curb (not in the road, but within 4-6 feet of the curb).
- Leaves and grass cannot be mixed with sticks, rocks, dirt, brush, paper and other debris.
- If other items are mixed with leaves and grass, the entire load will not be picked up.
- Yard waste must be at least 8 feet from any sign, water meter, landscaping, mailbox or other stationary object, and away from any low overhead lines.
- Yard waste consisting of brush must have limbs not to exceed 6 feet in length, stacked loosely with cut ends parallel to the street.
- Yard waste consists of shrubs or tree limbs, flowers and plants only.
If yard waste equals less than a truckload, there is no charge. The following fee schedule applies to collections over one truckload. Invoices will be mailed directly to the resident. Please make arrangements with Town Hall for payment.
Full truckload=16 feet long x 6 feet wide x 4 feet high=$100
Bulk Item Collection Service
The Town of Harrisburg offers bulk item pick-up on Wednesday of each week, or as soon as possible thereafter depending on current workloads. All bulk item pick-ups must be scheduled through the Customer Service Department at 704-455-5614 at least one day in advance. Bulk item pick-up does not include yard waste collection - leaves, grass, limbs and brush.
The town reserves the right not to handle any material that it deems unsafe for its employees. If a homeowner has a special need above the weekly limit, the homeowner must contact Customer Service at 704-455-5614 to arranger a special pick--up for a fee which will be determined by the Town.
Waste generated by private landscaping contractors will not be collected unless arranged by the homeowner for a fee. No debris created by commercial operations will be collected. Harrisburg Town Council reserves the right to change or amend these policies at any time.
If the homeowner does not comply with the guidelines outlined on this website, the yard debris and/or bulk items will not be collected and a notice will be left at the residence explaining why service was not completed. The homeowner may notify Customer Service when corrections are made, or to discuss other arrangements, by calling 704-455-5614.
Bulk items that will be collected by scheduled pickup are:
- Small amounts of carpet and padding
- Small amounts of shingle or construction materials
- White goods (washers, dryers, refrigerators, dishwashers)
- Furniture (beds, sofas, lawn chairs, tables, lighting fixtures)
- Metal items (lawn mowers, playground equipment) Note that all fluids must be drained. Large items such as playground equipment must be disassembled. Lawn mower will be drained of all gas & oil. No rubber lawn mower tires will be picked up.
- Doors, windows & decking
The following bulk items will not be picked up:
- Household garbage
- Large cardboard boxes (break down flat and place in recycling bins for pick up)
- Tires, batteries, oil, paint or liquid toxic materials
- Dead animals
- Demolition debris, dirt, rock or brick, sod, pavement or concrete
- Electronics, such as computer monitors, televisions and vacuum cleaners