About Harrisburg

July 4th in Harrisburg Park
July 4th in Harrisburg Park
Settled mostly by Scotch-Irish sometime between 1732 and 1765, Harrisburg -- still home to families that arrived in the 1700s -- came by its name from the Robert Harris family and his descendants. Mr. Harris was established on land of his own here in 1766. With the coming of the railroad in the 1850s, the depot took the name of the landowner from whom the right-of-way was purchased, becoming known as Harris Depot. In 1874 the post office underwent a change of name from Harris Depot to Harrisburg.

A business district and town center developed near the railroad, but in 1923, with the construction of what is now known as N.C. 49, Harrisburg's business district shifted to the new road. Harrisburg Depot closed in 1933.

Due to its proximity to Charlotte and convenient highway access, Harrisburg has developed into one of the top ten most affluent zip codes in the Charlotte region, with population growing from 2,000 a decade ago to over 14,000 today. The Town is known for amenities such as premium housing and large homesites, a robust Parks & Recreation program, frequent family entertainment/events--most notably the three-day July 4th festival including parade, bands, amusements, pageant--top performing schools, low taxes and a tight-knit community. Harrisburg is projected to be one of the top five fastest growing municipalities in North Carolina over the next ten years, according to the NC Office of State Budget and Management.