Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
In order to coach or assist in any way with a Harrisburg Parks & Recreation Youth Sports Team, interested candidates must complete the following items to be reviewed/approved by the Parks & Recreation Department.
To be completed prior to EACH sports season:
To be completed ANNUALLY prior to expiration date:
Submission of an application does not guarantee a coaching position. Head coaches are chosen at the discretion of the athletic/recreation coordinators. Applicants selected to be head coaches will be notified and must attend the mandatory coach's meeting. In addition to completing the required items, please refer to the season's information sheet and reach out to the age-specific coordinator of the sport you would like to coach/assist to share your interest.
All volunteers with Harrisburg Parks and Recreation are required to complete the Volunteer Waiver Form. If you are under 18, a parent or guardian signature is required on the form also. Background checks are not required on those under 18 years of age. If you are 18 or over, you must complete the Criminal Records Check Authorization. All required items must be digitally submitted and on file with the Harrisburg Parks and Recreation Department prior to any volunteer work.
Please select one or more of the following volunteer opportunities:
Please provide the head coach's first and last name if known. If not, please type N/A or any.
Please select the sports season this application is being submitted for.
REMINDER: A new application must be submitted prior to each sport season to indicate league and position preference, maintain current contact information, and to ensure completion of most current forms. Do not submit an application more than a season in advance.
Please select one or more of the options below that you are interested in coaching/helping with THIS season.
By submitting this application to be a volunteer youth coach/helper for Harrisburg Parks & Recreation, I agree to abide by all Rules & Regulations governing coaches and programs I am associated with. If selected as a coach, I agree to attend all mandatory meetings and clinics and to adhere to the Coach’s Code of Conduct. I understand that if I have any problems or concerns while coaching, I will speak with the designated coordinator for the sport I am coaching. I further understand that failure to adhere to the Coaches Code of Conduct and/or violating coaching or sports rules may result in my suspension and/or dismissal as a coach for Harrisburg Parks & Recreation. As an applicant to be a volunteer coach for Harrisburg Parks & Recreation, I hereby authorize Cabarrus County Parks or other entity to conduct a criminal records and background check. I understand that the disclosure of a record may result in automatic disqualification from coaching. Moreover, I hereby release Harrisburg Parks & Recreation from any/all civil or criminal liability for seeking the requested information and for evaluating such information as it relates to my volunteer coaching application with the Town of Harrisburg. I understand the information received will be treated in a confidential manner. I agree to notify Harrisburg Parks & Recreation in the event charges are brought against me or if I am under investigation during my coaching tenure. I also understand that approval of a background check does not imply that my coaching application will be approved. I understand that the designated coordinator has the authority to recommend approval or denial to Parks and Recreation for any coaching positions for the sport they coordinate. I hereby expressly acknowledge and agree that the Town of Harrisburg Parks & Recreation Department may select and/or suspend/dismiss me as a volunteer coach with or without cause and at their sole discretion.
By checking the "I agree" box below, you agree to the Volunteer Disclaimer above and acknowledge that 1) your application will not be signed in the sense of a traditional paper document, 2) by signing in this alternate manner, you authorize your electronic signature to be valid and binding upon you to the same force and effect as a handwritten signature, and 3) you may still be required to provide a traditional signature at a later date.
1. I will place the emotional and physical well-being of my players ahead of any personal desire to win.
2. I will treat each player as an individual, remembering the large range of emotional and physical development for the same age group.
3. I will do my best to provide a safe playing situation for my players.
4. I will do my best to organize practices that are fun and challenging for all my players.
5. I will lead by example in demonstrating fair play and sportsmanship to all my players.
6. I will provide a sports environment for my team that is free of drugs, tobacco, and alcohol, and I will refrain from their use at all youth sports events.
7. I will be knowledgeable in the rules of each sport that I coach, and I will teach these rules to my players.
8. I will use coaching techniques appropriate for each of the skills that I teach.
9. I will remember that I am a youth sports coach and that the program/game is for children and not adults.
10. I will respect the integrity and judgment of game officials.
11. I will display modesty in victory and graciousness in defeat.
12. I will be no party to, nor will I tolerate, the use of profanity, obscene language, or improper actions.
13. I will treat each player, opposing coach, official, parent and administrator with respect and dignity.
14. I will learn the strengths and weaknesses of my players so that I might place them into situations where they have a maximum opportunity to achieve success.
15. I will conduct my practices and games so that all players have an opportunity to improve their skill level through active participation
16. I will be generous with praise when it is deserved.
17. I will never ridicule or shout at players for making mistakes or losing a game.
18. I will ensure that all players participate. The "average" players require and deserve equal time.
19. I will create a safe and enjoyable environment in which to train and play.
20. I will make a personal commitment to keep informed on sound coaching principles and methods and on the principles of growth and development of young people.
I recognize the responsibility encumbered upon me to model ethical behavior. I pledge to observe, practice and maintain the Coaches Code of Conduct at all times.
I understand the Parks & Recreation Department reserves the right to suspend any coach/volunteer/parent whose conduct is considered detrimental to the best interest of the Harrisburg Parks & Recreation Youth Athletic Program.
By checking the "I agree" box below and submitting your electronic signature, you acknowledge and agree to the Coaches Code of Conduct, Parks and Recreation Right to Suspend, and Coach's Responsibility statements above and agree and acknowledge that 1) your application will not be signed in the sense of a traditional paper document, 2) by signing in this alternate manner, you authorize your electronic signature to be valid and binding to the same force and effect as a handwritten signature, and 3) you may still be required to provide a traditional signature at a later date.
(e.g., coach for youth athletics)
I, the undersigned volunteer, desire and agree to volunteer for the Town of Harrisburg in the volunteer activity described above. I further understand and agree as follows:
1. I am donating my time and services without any compensation and shall at no time be considered an employee or independent contractor of the Town; and the Town will not provide insurance coverage for me.
2. I know of no reason, medical or otherwise, that would prevent me from performing the tasks required to participate in this volunteer activity;
3. I assume all risks of participating in this volunteer activity and full responsibility for my conduct and actions, including any injury to myself or others or damage to property that may result while volunteering, and I understand that the Town is not responsible for conditions that I create myself or those created by other volunteers or participants;
4. I, binding my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, hereby agree to release, hold harmless and indemnify the Town, its officers, officials, employees, agents and volunteers from and against any and all loss, damage, expense or cost (including attorney fees) of any kind for injuries (including property damage, personal injury, disability and death) arising out of this volunteer activity, whether caused by the negligence of the Town or otherwise.
5. I (and parent/legal guardian if volunteer is under age 18) have carefully read this release and understand and agree with all terms and conditions.
By checking the "I agree" box below, you acknowledge and agree to the Volunteer Waiver, Release, & Indemnity Disclaimer and that 1) your agreement will not be signed in the sense of a traditional paper document, 2) by signing in this alternate manner, you authorize your electronic signature to be valid and binding upon you to the same force and effect as a handwritten signature, and 3) you may still be required to provide a traditional signature at a later date.
Background checks are required for all volunteers over the age of 18 and are valid for one year from approval date. If you do not have a valid/current background check on file with the Town of Harrisburg, click APPLY NOW to begin the criminal records authorization process. See below for specific instructions for proper completion.
If you have a current/approved background check for the Town of Harrisburg that will not expire prior to the completion of the volunteer season/event, please select "Continue" at the bottom of the page (after the Disclosure statement) to bypass the criminal records section at this time. You will then be directed to the final page where you need to select your preferred submission option.
Specific steps for completing the criminal records authorization:
*NOTE: When submitted correctly, you will receive an immediate email from BIB (Background Investigation Bureau) stating that the order is in progress. If you do not receive this email from BIB, the application was not submitted fully and will not be processed. Be sure to click the "complete" button.
Please select one of the options below ("Submit" or "Submit and Print") to fully submit the coaching application, code of conduct, and volunteer waiver. If/When your application documents are submitted correctly, you will receive an immediate email response from [email protected]. If you do not receive this email, your coaching application has not been submitted and cannot be reviewed. Please make sure all required information is included and you click SUBMIT at the very bottom of the of the page (below the reCAPTCHA logo).
NOTE: If/When you complete the Criminal Records Check Authorization correctly, you will receive a separate and immediate email from "BIB" confirming the background check request was received and will be reviewed. You will receive a second email from BIB regarding the status (typically 1-5 days later). Once approved, and you have been selected to coach/assist, you will need to come to the Parks & Recreation office to have a photo ID badge printed with the valid expiration date.
Thank you for taking the time to complete these important documents! We appreciate your help and support!
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field