In or around 1953, several citizens of the Harrisburg community researched the need for a more local Fire Department. This prompted them to begin the process of forming a volunteer fire department and start laying the foundation for what is now known as the Town of Harrisburg Fire Department. Harrisburg Volunteer Fire Department was officially established in February of 1954, which from its beginning until June 1996, the department's manpower was derived solely from volunteer membership.
In June of 1996, due to tremendous growth in the Harrisburg area, the Board of Directors hired a paid Fire Chief and implemented part-time personnel during daylight hours. This allowed the department to better provide services to its customers, and allowed apparatus to respond immediately during the day, when volunteers could not respond in great numbers. In July of 1999, due to explosive growth in and around Harrisburg, the Board of Directors approved 10 full-time positions. This ensured immediate response of apparatus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The year 2006 marked another milestone for the Harrisburg Volunteer Fire Department, by merging with the Town of Harrisburg.
The Harrisburg Volunteer Fire Department became a municipal fire department and the Town of Harrisburg Fire Department was born. Since then, the Harrisburg Fire Department has grown to:
- 43 full-time firefighters
- 3 Battalion Fire Chiefs
- Fire Chief and Deputy Chief
- Assistant Chief of Administration
- Division Chief of Training
- Division Chief of Planning/Data Analysis
- Fire Marshal
- Fire Inspector
- Logistics Captain
- Administrative Assistant
- PIO (Public Information Officer)
The Fire Department is overseen by an Advisory Board which acts as a liaison between the Fire Department and Town Council. The Advisory Board consists of residents that reside within the town and the county areas within the fire district.
The Town of Harrisburg Fire Department utilizes a combination of full-time and part-time employees, along with some volunteers. The Department operates from three stations and provides fire suppression, emergency medical responses, heavy rescue services, and public and life safety education to residents of the Town of Harrisburg, as well as residents of Cabarrus County. We also have a specialized team for swift water rescue.
The fire protection district is roughly 32 square miles which includes residential, manufacturing and commercial retail structures. We provide mutual aid assistance to the City of Concord, City of Kannapolis, Flowes Store Volunteer Fire Department and Allen Volunteer Fire Department in Cabarrus County. We also provide assistance to Charlotte Fire Department and Robinson Volunteer Fire Department in Mecklenburg County.
Bryan DunnFire Chief
Ken BradeyDeputy Fire Chief, Operations
John Renner IVAssistant Chief, Administration
Fire DepartmentPhysical Address
6462 Morehead Road
Harrisburg, NC 28075
Phone: 704-455-3574Fax: 704-454-5476Emergency Phone: 911